[FoRK] Let GM and Chrysler die

geege schuman geege4 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:37:07 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Joe Barrera <joe-fork at barrera.org> wrote:

> I have to say I'm with the Republicans on this one. Both of these
> companies should have died 30 years ago. GM especially.
>
> Brooks makes a fairly convincing case for bankruptcy:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/opinion/14brooks.html?_r=1&em&oref=slogin
>
> <Government could use that $50 billion — and more — to help the workers who
are going to be displaced no matter what.>
Help the workers how, exactly?  And it won't be just auto MAKERS who are
affected - what about the parts suppliers?

I'm not in favor of bailing the Big 3 out (they'll just be back for more),
but Brooks writes off the Auto Czar concept on ideological principal and a
little too quickly.

We all want more details.