[FoRK] billing for travel days?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Nov 14 19:04:56 PST 2008

Travel related to Federal / DoD contracts has a somewhat fuzzy rule that
travel that takes a significant amount of a day constitutes a "travel
day".  Usually, you do some work on that day, however most of the day
when you are traveling is imputed to the project as normal project
time.  On busier projects, and where it is possible, I'd be working much
of that time anyway.

For shorter travel, the rule is that normal travel to and from your
regular place of business is personal and any other travel is accounted
for as project work time.  One way this is handled is for people to
drive to work and then carpool to a meeting and back.  This is very
clearly work time.  Sometimes, although pretty limited usually, flex
time can be used.

The only quirky part is that if you perform the travel on a weekend, it
is less appropriate to charge it to the project, hence the tendency
avoid staying over a weekend, unless it is in a destination that holds
some personal interest.  In that case, you can often justify getting an
extra night or two of hotel / rental car / per diem paid for because it
often is more than offset by the lower airfare.  There is a strange rule
around taking a day of vacation next to a holiday or related shifting of
hours you have to watch out for.

When I was living in Ohio and consulting in Manhattan, I, my partner,
and a zillion other people would fly into the City on Monday morning and
fly home on Friday afternoon, using two half days of project time.  In
those days I billed by the day or fraction thereof anyway and had an
unlimited expense account.  I ate so much top-tier steak in 3 months
that I didn't eat steak again for 2 years.

I think that the gist of all of that is that you don't charge for
"driving to work" time, but anything else is normal project time.  This
is in what you might call a "class A" consultant / contractor /
employee-like situation.  If it's more of a "class B" (vendor or
maintenance service call), it is expected that you are doing a lot of
that kind of service and A) can do other work on the same trip and/or B)
have built in enough margin to deal with it.  Service rates for Cray
support are a good example.  The confusion, especially with accounting
departments, probably has to do with misunderstandings in this
division.  Or knowledge that the former category even exists.

sdw