[FoRK] scribd sucks dead dogs balls

damien morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Sat Nov 15 12:35:48 PST 2008

I keep coming across documents published to scribd. This is a truly
annoying service - they basically take Adobe PDFs and convert them to
a non-downloadable format rendered in flash. Its slow, you cant resize
the viewing area, and its just a whole lot more inconvenient than the
original PDF.

Authors do have the option of allowing viewers to download the
document in PDF form, but when you try to do that, they pop up a
membership registration form.

Oh, I notice that membership registration allows you to log using my
Google, Facebook, AOL etc passwords or OpenID. So I click on the
Google icon, which redirects me to a google page telling me that a
non-related domain name is trying to access my account. A close read
of the page and I find a note saying the company trying to access my
account wont gain access to my password, but it doesnt say what they
will have access to, though it does say I can revoke their access at
any time. Ok, what the fuck, I'll give it a go, I click OK, and guess
what? I bounce back to scribd and get a registration form
pre-populated with my email address. I still need to put in my full
name and pick a username. I do that and click OK, and they send me a
bloody confirmation email which never arrives.

Wow. I wont be trying that again.

A quick search finds me a downloadable copy of the original document
in PDF form.