[FoRK] scribd sucks dead dogs balls

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sat Nov 15 12:56:35 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM, damien morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:
> I keep coming across documents published to scribd. This is a truly
> annoying service - they basically take Adobe PDFs and convert them to
> a non-downloadable format rendered in flash. Its slow, you cant resize
> the viewing area, and its just a whole lot more inconvenient than the
> original PDF.

Scribd is a side-effect of it still being too hard (and too expensive
if you get popular) for most people to publish things. So anything
that lets you create an account and publish for free, no matter how
mediocre, will get attention. And then once you've got a network
effect of people using and publishing, more people publish... etc.
See, e.g., youtube.

> Oh, I notice that membership registration allows you to log using my
> Google, Facebook, AOL etc passwords or OpenID. So I click on the
> Google icon, which redirects me to a google page telling me that a
> non-related domain name is trying to access my account. A close read
> of the page and I find a note saying the company trying to access my
> account wont gain access to my password, but it doesnt say what they
> will have access to, though it does say I can revoke their access at
> any time. Ok, what the fuck, I'll give it a go, I click OK, and guess
> what? I bounce back to scribd and get a registration form
> pre-populated with my email address. I still need to put in my full
> name and pick a username. I do that and click OK,

Welcome to the very mediocre openid account creation workflow. It's
very handy once you've got the account created, but until then, it's
pretty bad.

Luis (eagerly awaiting the day every citizen has a self-publishing
platform with p2p mechanisms for distribution of bandwidth costs in
case of spikes in popularity)