[FoRK] scribd sucks dead dogs balls

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sat Nov 15 13:40:22 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM, damien morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome to the very mediocre openid account creation workflow. It's
>> very handy once you've got the account created, but until then, it's
>> pretty bad.
>
> Its a gloriously stupid idea - for OpenID to work, I should be able to
> just click on the Google/facebook/whatever icon and have their cookies
> just log me on to the current site somehow.

That's roughly what they can do, but iff they trust your openid
provider. Else they have to do some sort of verification, since openid
makes no claims about your identity other than 'this website can couch
for you.' Sounds like scribd hasn't differentiated the process between
trusted and untrusted openid providers.

>> Luis (eagerly awaiting the day every citizen has a self-publishing
>> platform with p2p mechanisms for distribution of bandwidth costs in
>> case of spikes in popularity)
>
> Whatever happened to freenet?

Failed to write a ffox plugin and so died? :) I was thinking more like
bittorrent built into browser + every publishing tool, or like
coralcdn. (Not that I object to anonymity but transparency/web
integration is critical for real adoption, and ISTR that freenet was
terrible at that?)

Luis