[FoRK] scribd sucks dead dogs balls

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sat Nov 15 14:52:49 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:

>>> Whatever happened to freenet?
>>>

>> Failed to write a ffox plugin and so died? :) I was thinking more like
>> bittorrent built into browser + every publishing tool, or like
>> coralcdn. (Not that I object to anonymity but transparency/web
>> integration is critical for real adoption, and ISTR that freenet was
>> terrible at that?)
>>

> A ffox plugin is exactly what I had been thinking about.  Actually, I think
> it's something like bittorrent + memcached so it handles more than just
> static web access.
>
> I am puzzled why ffox doesn't already have bittorrent integrated in a way
> that works transparently with standard web servers like Apache and Lighttpd.
>  What prevents something like that from being successful?

Remember that bittorent is not 'true' p2p; it requires the publisher
to set up a server-side component as well. So you can't 'just work
transparently with standard web servers.' That said, no, I don't know
why basic, simple client support isn't integrated into ffox like ftp
is; it'd certainly make publishing tools much more likely to support
torrent on their end.

(Tangentially, if you want to let more self-publishers live on the
edge, you probably need something that *isn't* torrent for small files
like, say, popular blog posts or streaming video (torrent is not good
for streaming or small files); coralcdn or something like it would be
necessary for that.)

Luis