[FoRK] scribd sucks dead dogs balls

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sat Nov 15 16:13:25 PST 2008

damien morton wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM, damien morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I often wonder if the firewalling and NAT-ing of the worlds users is as a
>>> result of a corporatist urge to keep the middleman role open. Like the
>>> self-censoring journalist of Chomsky, the worlds internet users cannot
>>> publish with someone's else's permission. Where is notion of rendezvous,
>>> where two users can agree to open ports to each other?
>> Politically, that's why I'd like torrent to be built into the browser.

>  Merely putting this or that into the browser isn't sufficient if users
> cannot directly connect to each other. I know how to open my firewalls to
> bittorrent, but from what I can see by looking at the other clients when
> downloading, the great majority of users can not or do not do so.
>
> I can imagine putting it all together with http and range requests.

Yup, Opera integrated BitTorrent a couple of years ago.
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/06/ but it seems primarily
targeted at consumers rather than publishers of data.

Re firewalls/NAT, I wonder whether XMPP/Jabber might provide a
poor-users P2P. I've made a few experiments with it for publishing query
services - http://danbri.org/words/2008/02/11/278 - but not for bulk data.

cheers,

Dan

--