[FoRK] midi master keyboards with full hammer mechanics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Dec 9 01:32:23 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 03:39:31PM +1100, silky wrote:

> Following up on this; 1 year later, what keyboard did you end up with?
> Do the same recommendations still apply?

I still haven't bought one, but today I would still buy a Fatar master keyboard
with 88 fully weighted hammer action keys -- e.g. a Fatar Studiologic SL-990 Pro
or a Fatar VMK 188 Plus Master Controller (both around 500 EUR) and use a softsynth
running on a Mac mini (you probably would want to pick up an Intel
one) or use a good synthesizer/expander module if you want to use it
for gigs (if you have to move the setup, you probably would want go
go for a fully integrated stage piano, which is more expensive/less
flexible).

> Looking at this one: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88.html
>
> It seems nice. All I'm after is an arguably 'simple', portable, piano
> that I can use to play piano music. Not overly obsessed with general
> music-writing (synth?) but I'd be happy if it was available in the <
> 1k (AUD) range.

I think you must figure out how much the exact grand piano touch and
feel is important to you, and then try your shortlisted keyboards hands-on.