[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 14 12:17:09 PST 2009

I dislike the whole hedge fund /
money-shuffling-but-accomplishing-little thing.  Accomplishing useful
things, improvements, happiness, health, safety, entertainment, science
is all good.  People should feel empowered, but because they've been
able to experience and conquer more and more challenges.  The biggest
problem I have with the education system is not getting every student to
really experience challenge, failure, long-term work, and success in a
coherent way most of the time.  Competition with others is important,
however what should be emphasized is competition with yourself.  It is
not OK that you haven't made progress, whether it is learning a new
area, new literature / science / art / math, or running the mile.
Schools systems are half-hearted about a lot of this.  Some kids will
dig into everything, but it is too easy for others to opt out, often
because they didn't feel competitive at the beginning, which is easily
overcome in many cases.

So, in the end, the article below is positive: their attributes overall
may lead to a reinforceably positive path.  Reality checks are often
good and necessary, but not fatal.  Attraction to money-shuffling (and
incessant marketing of dubious investments) as a life goal could use
some perspective, so I'm fine with that.

sdw