[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Jan 14 12:39:42 PST 2009

Stephen Williams wrote on 1/14/2009 12:17 PM:
> Schools systems are half-hearted about a lot of this.  Some kids will
> dig into everything, but it is too easy for others to opt out, often
> because they didn't feel competitive at the beginning, which is easily
> overcome in many cases.

They have NEVER been allowed to fail. Never. The stakes are far too
high. They have never seen "bad" times. Never been allowed to get a
non-A grade - they wouldn't be at Stanford if they every did. They have
spent 18 years preparing to be perfect on a college application.
Anything that in any way risked failure was not allowed. Even a single B
could mean having to go to a "bad" college, never mind that even a
college in rural China uses the same (pirated) books and teaches the
exact same thing as the Ivy League does.

Ironically, this makes them (what do we call them? Gen Y or something,
as in "WHY the hell should I pay you to spend 7 hours on Facebook a
day?") all almost interchangeable, no real way to distinguish them
because to first order they are identical even on paper because they all
had the exact same goal. Only once they fall on their faces enough times
will you be able to tell them apart. You cannot learn anything from
success, it's not fundamentally possible. Look at any great
businessperson and you'll see a looooong string of failed companies
before they got it right.

P.S. Geege, Me will say whatever me wants, You shove big stick up you
rear then walk long on short peer you do.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/