[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jan 15 04:27:18 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:25:30PM -0500, bill stoddard wrote:
> All this talk about the 'self esteem' movement blah blah blah .. i've
> never understood it, never experienced it, never seen it and sure never

I've seen a lot of it in Europe. It started shortly before my generation (1966).

> supported it.  It all feels like a giant political straw-man invented by
> disgruntled, sex starved old farts to make some abstruse point that

Instant argument, just add hominem.

> completely escapes me.  Maybe I hang out with the wrong people (or maybe
> I hang out with the right people :-)

Good for you!

> Life is going to get a lot tougher for all us North Americans, but you

Why just North Americans? Things are a lot harsher in China now than
they will ever be where I sit. Subsistence farmers are about the only
people coming through smelling like roses.

> can keep the moralizing and finger pointing.

Blame games are boring. I'm more interested in emerging technologies
to make energy, resource and demography work again, world wide.