[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Thu Jan 15 13:16:01 PST 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote on 1/15/2009 4:15 AM:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:39:42PM -0800, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> Anything that in any way risked failure was not allowed. Even a single B
>> could mean having to go to a "bad" college, never mind that even a
>> college in rural China uses the same (pirated) books and teaches the
>> exact same thing as the Ivy League does.
>
> I've read in Science IIRC that undergrad education in top schools
> in China is world class. They only have to go abroad for top grad schools.
> It will probably take another decade to close that remaining gap.

Yea, that was my point. Undergrad education is largely the same
worldwide. Memorize X, do Y, pass test C. And this is good, because
you're really being trained for a job where the thinking probably done
by other people that have been out for 10-20 years.

No matter where you are the faculty at a university all in the same
closely knit community using the same material. Because PhD programs
churn out several orders of magnitude more PhDs then there are faculty
jobs, you largely get faculty from the top research schools everywhere
eventually.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/