[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 15 20:41:43 PST 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:23:47AM -0500, HK Pang wrote:
>
>> also, schools like MIT put their course materials online. it's a lot
>>

> Course materials are only a tiny piece of the whole expensive parcel.

But potentially the most valuable, and easiest to share part.

 From the point of view of the university, costs come from other things
like real estate, upkeep, energy, various salaries.  Not very scalable.
 From the student's point of view, the material, references, and one-way
instruction are completely scalable and easy to replicate.
Only the back channel of teaching interaction, grading, and questioning
is the unscalable part of instruction.  I already have a domain to
address that issue, however I will likely delay that project for a while.
>> easier to find learning materials than motivated and smart students.
>> so at the end of the day, countries like China and India will compete
>> well  simply by the sheer size of their populations.
>>

> No hypotheticals about it, I was citing a major peer-reviewed
> journal commenting on official ranking.
>
> This is great, this planet needs lots of smart people.

Definitely.  While you want them to share your ideals at least to a
moderate extent, otherwise it doesn't matter where they came from.
Tracking it however does show where you need to improve negligent
practice or culture run amok.

Stephen