[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Jan 15 21:41:24 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Autonomous vehicles are already solved.

Wait, what?  That is an area near and dear to my business and that is
the first I have heard of it.  Yes, people are working on it, but
"solved" is not the term I would use.  It is solved if we restrict
"solved" to only include very narrow and specialized cases.  There is
a lot of work left to do, and it is a *lot* trickier than it sounds to
come up with a generally useful solution.  There are still fundamental
theoretical computer science questions that have to be answered first
such that we contrive test cases that allow us to avoid asking them.
The technology is getting better, but is still pretty stupid in ways
that become obvious in more edge-like cases. It would be cool, but the
tech only exists to do Disneyland versions. When you used the word
"solved", you forgot to add a bunch of asterisks and attached caveats.

Also, I would observe that the commercial infrastructure for such
things that is being worked on includes deep and pervasive real-time
tracking of individuals, but I will leave it to the civil libertarians
as to whether or not that is a good thing.

> Hard problems have been falling fast.

Not fast enough, but I will take what I can get. :-)

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers