[FoRK] Dude, where’s my job?

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Sat Jan 17 02:56:07 PST 2009

bill stoddard wrote on 1/16/2009 6:26 AM:
> The article posted by Adam feels like thinly disguised right wing
> propaganda... let's blame everything on the 'self esteem movement' given
> to us by 'the America hating liberals'.  Were it not for right wing talk
> radio and Fox news, I would have never known anything about the 'self
> esteem movement'.  If it exists, it's not prevalent where I live.  It's
> about as real to me as intelligent bugs from Klandathu raining meteors
> down on our heads.

The educators at the university level were the first to raise alarms,
and quite some time ago. Since they need to be told how excellent they
are every 45 seconds or they have a meltdown, when they got to college
they all melted down. Since they had never failed at anything, when they
started their core ciriculum Jr year, they had more meltdown.

Rob Harley wrote on 1/16/2009 6:46 AM:
 > Sounds like the good ol' "today's kids are spoiled" meme.
 >
 > http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

No, this is distinctly different. Not that they aren't spoiled ;) but
this is a much deeper inability to deal with the real world where
failure is by a wide margin the norm, and that's OK, you learn and try
try again.

And now a financial depression is hitting, so their magical world where
everyone gives them gold starts for everything they do is crumbling.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/