[FoRK] I've joined the modern era

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Feb 4 11:56:48 PST 2009

silky wrote on 2/1/2009 7:37 PM:
> And to be honest, in regards to "reconnecting with old friends", my
> general opinion on that is that I'm not in contact with them now for a
> reason ... because I never cared. I don't see why that would change.

Any sociologist (and lots of other people) can tell you that humans can
maintain about 200 "connections" at a time, and only a handful of those
are close. This is because relationships of any kind take time and
active maintenance, time is finite, thus the connections must also be
finite.

The nice thing about catering to the youth tho is that there are always
more people coming along that don't know that yet, and will add 500+
"friends". But everyone eventually does realize it, and gets on with
their life with their current friends.

Certainly I "get" social networks, and I'm on LinkedIn, because they
were ballsy enough to figure out an actual BUSINESS MODEL - pimping all
the info out to recruiters - which I'm OK with because we're all there
to track our business contacts. I can hang out with my friend in the
real world and with IM/email, thanks. Fackbook on the other hand
had(has) no model at all for making money, and is now going to sell
anything they can to everyone they can.

Frankly this depression (yea we're there) is going to force almost the
entire ad-supported internet to resort to a lot of slimy things. Which
is sad because since nobody has a business model, so they are doomed
anyway. But for every major site with ads, there are 5 with _zero_ model
for paying the bills *cough* Digg *cough*.

Advertising only works when the sheep are desperate to buy things they
don't need with money they don't have. That's over.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/