[FoRK] the 37signals approach [was Re: Company where I work got funded! Economy not disastrous everywhere!]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Feb 16 16:05:25 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> wrote:
> [W]hen your vision is so broad that it needs somebody
> else's money to realize it fully, [the compromise] is clearly one worth making.

Query: how many visions are so broad that they actually need someone
else's money to realize fully? Unlike Beberg, I think the answer is
'more than zero', but I still think it is a pretty small number. The
approach of the 37signals guys - best summed up as: if your vision
can't pay for itself very quickly at small scale while you're building
it out, is the vision any good? - rings very true for me, especially
in these days of low-cost scalability.

Luis