[FoRK] the 37signals approach [was Re: Company where I work got funded! Economy not disastrous everywhere!]

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:12:43 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> wrote:
>> [W]hen your vision is so broad that it needs somebody
>> else's money to realize it fully, [the compromise] is clearly one worth making.
>
> Query: how many visions are so broad that they actually need someone
> else's money to realize fully? Unlike Beberg, I think the answer is
> 'more than zero', but I still think it is a pretty small number. The
> approach of the 37signals guys - best summed up as: if your vision
> can't pay for itself very quickly at small scale while you're building
> it out, is the vision any good? - rings very true for me, especially
> in these days of low-cost scalability.

Personally I'm sick of hearing about 37 signals and other such people
who keep talking on and on and on and not doing anything. Bored of
listening to people talk about how you should do it, etc. Bugger their
advice; just go out and do it the way it needs to be done! IMHO you
should spend less time listening to self-proclaimed experts and more
time doing what _you_ think is right.

I can easily sit here and think of examples of web companies that need
money to get off the ground, and those that don't. What's the point;
it's obvious which is which. Just go out and do it!

--
noon silky
http://www.boxofgoodfeelings.com/