[FoRK] A plea for the death tax

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:10:39 PST 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> It has become a shibboleth among the right wing that the death tax is
> the worst of all taxes. As with almost everything else, their views on
> this are quite topsy-turvy. Just after I die strikes me as the one
> time I wouldn't suffer much from preparing and paying tax.

My objection to the death tax is 100% moral.  I think the idea that in
the midst of any families struggles with the death of a loved one the
government would show up and say "Oh, we'd like our pound of flesh
now", goulish and repugnant.  I don't care that it's a tax on "rich
people".  Rich people don't have people who love them?

Thinking of my wife, my parents, or god forbid my children in the
midst of putting their life together after my death having to open a
letter saying "We're the IRS, and here is the bill you owe us" is
enough to convince me that the death tax is a stupid idea.

-Kevin