[FoRK] A plea for the death tax

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Mon Feb 23 12:26:30 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu>
> wrote:
>> My objection to the death tax is 100% moral.  I think the idea that
>> in the
>> midst of any families struggles with the death of a loved one the
>> government
>> would show up and say "Oh, we'd like our pound of flesh now",
>> goulish and
>> repugnant. ...
>
> How is it any worse than your executor filing a final income tax
> return, as is now required?

DIdn't say it was- are you willing to abolish income tax for the dead
too?  I'll happily support that.  More seriously, by definition, the
income tax cannot cost you significant amounts of money unless you've
done some thing wrong (by failing to withhold enough money).  Hence
the term "income tax return".  The estate tax on the other hand is
deliberately designed to cost lots of money.  You don't see a
difference?