[FoRK] A plea for the death tax

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Feb 23 16:05:47 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 3:17 PM, geege schuman wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM, J. Andrew Rogers <
> andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a lot of precedent for suggesting that one will almost
>> certainly
>> see systemic behavior by the government to maximize revenue even to
>> the
>> detriment of the population, a straightforward evolutionary dynamic.
>>
> Like criminalizing marijuana use?  Or the so-called War on Drugs?
> Or the
> so-called War on Terror?

It is not obvious to me that the War on Terror increase government
revenue,just spending.   Give them time.

Remember when traffic laws were nominally about safety and not
revenue?  How many cases of unsafe (and a-legal) tweaking of the
traffic systems have their been in order to maximize traffic revenue?

Or how about the use of eminent domain solely to increase the tax base?

Plenty of examples available that touch virtually every aspect of
government.

J. Andrew