[FoRK] [Fwd: Re: Then there's this...]

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Feb 27 13:57:19 PST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Then there's this...
Date: 	Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:57:11 -0800
From: 	Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net>
To: 	Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>
<0FA05645-EB95-4D94-9B4E-A213913C9712 at place.org>
<891A9389-AFF2-48EA-81C1-3E4E42B82EE9 at place.org>

Seems like a minor point.

Assume that more revenue must be collected during a certain near term
(for some values of more and near), where would you gather it?  For each
incremental level of funding, where would you get it for the most
beneficial / least destructive effects?

Don't complain unless you have a better alternative.  Wishing the budget
was balanced while pitching mainly to make it worse ("cut taxes no
matter what") isn't really that helpful.  Insisting on things that can't
be done doesn't help either (cancel the military, cancel medicare...).

Some core reasons that the housing bubble happened were easy credit,
good tax writeoffs, etc., i.e.: huge mortgages were affordable.  That
shouldn't have happened to the degree it did.  Pulling back on that
could be considered prudent.  Yet, you disagree with this measure.  Tax
breaks are all about incentives and taking the most revenue with the
least bad effects.  This seems like modest pressure to heal the bad
situation.  Certainly, any pressure may make things worse first, however
we're already deep into that.

sdw