[FoRK] Electrolyzed Water (EOW) - Simple elixir called a 'miracle liquid'

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Mar 1 19:49:36 PST 2009

Sounds like a scam, but apparently it's been used in Russia and Japan
for "decades".  They spray it on sushi to keep it disinfected!
Why is it that we don't already have one of these in every bathroom and
kitchen?  Why didn't I know about this?  Besides the fact that it sounds
like it would obviate half of Proctor & Gamble's products?

They're still $600-1000 per unit.  The design seems fairly simple, so a
mass produced model should cost much less than a water softener.  You
can't just transport the EOW because the clorine-dioxide, or whatever,
dissipates.

There is an ion generator for hot tubs / spas, however I don't think it
is the same thing.

Seen in today's San Jose Mercury News, reprint from:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-magicwater23-2009feb23,0,1620173.story
> It's a kitchen degreaser. It's a window cleaner. It kills athlete's
> foot. Oh, and you can drink it.
>
> Sounds like the old "Saturday Night Live" gag for Shimmer, the faux
> floor polish plugged by Gilda Radner. But the elixir is real. It has
> been approved by U.S. regulators. And it's starting to replace the
> toxic chemicals Americans use at home and on the job.
>

>     * Miracle liquid
>       Photos: Miracle liquid
>     * Creating magic water.
>       Creating magic water.
>
> The stuff is a simple mixture of table salt and tap water whose ions
> have been scrambled with an electric current. Researchers have dubbed
> it electrolyzed water -- hardly as catchy as Mr. Clean. But at the
> Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica, some hotel workers are calling it el
> liquido milagroso -- the miracle liquid.
>
> That's as good a name as any for a substance that scientists say is
> powerful enough to kill anthrax spores without harming people or the
> environment.
Units:

http://www.waterionizer.org/site/898596/product/JW001
$875 right now.  You have to wonder how many of those features are
scientifically sound.  This unit produces both the alkaline water for
drinking and the acidic water for external washing / disinfecting.

http://heartspring.net/watrix/acid_water_filters.html
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200012/000020001200A0378057.php
http://www.sanyo.com/news/2007/01/17-1en.html
http://www.waterionizer.org/site/898596/page/451005?type=search&keyword=electrolyzed%20water&adid=3438825037&placement=&crtag=Google1&gclid=CI-E5uymg5kCFRYiagod8V2ToQ