[FoRK] The Wingnut Revolution

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Mar 1 22:29:04 PST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Too bad the liberals have been practicing survival camp cities at
> Burning Man every year.

The one image of Burning Man that has stuck with me all these years is
the spectacular carnage that happens when clueless city slickers meet
open range.  It was like the "Highway of Death" pictures from the
first Gulf War, but with cows and Volkswagens. I've had friends (who
were better prepared than average) that lost cars that way in route to
Burning Man.

Burning Man is to outdoor survival what the Boy Scouts is to
patrolling the Taliban strongholds of Afghanistan.  Over the years I
have rescued at least a half-dozen lamers from the Bay Area suburbs
playing out their Grizzly Adams fantasy in the region of Tahoe and
Burning Man.  It's embarrassing; they watched far too much television.

It is not as easy as it looks, and really quite dangerous to life and
limb if you are an amateur; I've had a couple dangerously close calls
myself and I supposedly know what I am doing.  It is not sufficient to
"get along with others" (and who says right-wing whackjobs don't "get
along"), you have to actually understand the environment and be able
to grok what your senses are perceiving. That kind of experience is
not easily won.  This is no different than the fools who end up dying
in Alaska because they've only had the Disneyland tour.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers