[FoRK] The Wingnut Revolution

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Mar 1 23:28:24 PST 2009

Your assertion that there is actually a little survival challenge
involved and that newbies are in a bit of a stretch goal situation is a
good indication that attendees have likely gained useful experience and
attitude.

I tend to go for the minimal roughing it myself, doing longish (5-20
mile) hikes over close-to-raw terrain, preferably ridge hikes with some
serious gain, with not much more than as much water as I can carry and
good shoes.  Or taking a kayak a few miles out in fairly rough seas by
myself.  Maybe later this year I'll actually hit the desert for more
than a little run.  I know I don't have the equipment or planning for
multi-day rough camping.  I tend to get my fill in 4-16 hours and then
scurry back to civilization to recover with air conditioning and
high-tech liquids.

At some point, I'll have to find a way to comfortably carry more than
110 oz. of water.  I've used that up and been moderately to severe
dehydrated several times in the last few years, not even in the desert.
I have only had heat stroke once, when I was 15 or so.  Do you have any
suggestions?

sdw