[FoRK] The Wingnut Revolution

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Mar 1 23:41:30 PST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 07:34:10PM -0800, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Santelli is a stooge for an astroturfing project: http://ping.fm/SJBgi
>
> But even if the whole thing wasn't a typical product of the
> rethuglican bullshit factory, the question is why moral hazard is a
> right wing talking point, given that Bush's gang created this
> situation.

The situation goes back to 1980, though it accelerated considerably
after 1990. There's plenty of blame to go around, including the
electorate who voted the people into office, and kept these
in the office.

> Ok, so, I was in a cab with a talkative cab driver and the guy went on
> a long rant about how the bank bailout was a ripoff giving the little
> guy's money to the Bankers.  And then a little further down the road
> in the rant (and in the jammed up traffic) it came out that he
> personally had stopped paying his mortgage in hopes of getting his
> payments reduced. Irony failed me.

Does anyone think that a tax revolt will happen? That large-scale
protests with shootings and army deployments will happen?

I'm not ruling out anything at this point, at least in Europe.
In fact, the situation would have blown up a while ago if population
age distribution were any different (but then we wouldn't have these
issues in the first place).