[FoRK] Satellite Internet Service

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 16 17:30:47 PDT 2009

Comcast is probably the way to go, or similar.  Cable modem service,
although it still tends to take a while for them to finally replace
flakey lines / hardware, causing periodic outages.  It is so obvious:
Service dies randomly over the weekend and magically starts working
again first thing Monday morning.  Happens 5-10 times over a number of
months, yet their tech support insists it is all on the consumer side.

BTW, Comcast is clueless about DNS.  There are web comments about them
having DNS server issues going back at least to 2005.  They still are
clueless.  Good luck even explaining what DNS is to the customer / tech
phone support.  "We don't run servers."  "No, there is no second level
support you can talk to."  "No, there is NO WAY we can call any data
center."  So, go OpenDNS.org and just forget them.

The cable guys seem to have run ahead of DSL, although FIOS is kicking
them right back.  Both of them are 8-20Mbits down, 1-6?Mbits up.

If you can't or don't want to deal with either of those, I'd recommend
Sprint CDMA 2000 Rev. A (and a newer version is about out I think).  I
can hook you up for $49.xx/mo.  Normal price is $59.xx/mo.  However,
they now have a 5GB cap.  (Was unlimited for a long time.)  Only get the
USB modems, and then get a little WiFi hub / router, and you are all
set, anywhere you can get phone service.  Sprint seems to have the most
broadly available Broadband.  Works in Canada too, although they went
from an OK-if-prorated unlimited rate to a small cap JUST when I took my
last trip there last year.  And then my USB modem died after a couple
days in Canada...

I can't live where I don't have broadband.  I have a hard time even
visiting.  Some very good old friends in Ohio are still using dialup...
And they have teenagers.  I think it is partly a way to curtail their
use.  I have a hard time seeing it as a net positive.

sdw