[FoRK] Satellite Internet Service

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 17 00:31:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:30:47PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Comcast is probably the way to go, or similar.  Cable modem service,
> although it still tends to take a while for them to finally replace
> flakey lines / hardware, causing periodic outages.  It is so obvious:
> Service dies randomly over the weekend and magically starts working
> again first thing Monday morning.  Happens 5-10 times over a number of
> months, yet their tech support insists it is all on the consumer side.

My cable modem is really reliable. The VoIP to go with it really
sucks, though. Which is why I'm going to 10/50 VDSL once available.
In some select locations there's 100 MBit/s (or even GBit/s) symmetric
FTTH being rolled out.

> BTW, Comcast is clueless about DNS.  There are web comments about them
> having DNS server issues going back at least to 2005.  They still are
> clueless.  Good luck even explaining what DNS is to the customer / tech
> phone support.  "We don't run servers."  "No, there is no second level
> support you can talk to."  "No, there is NO WAY we can call any data
> center."  So, go OpenDNS.org and just forget them.

Local cable intentionally breaks DNS. Also, we're getting Internet
censorship based on DNS, so I just run my own caching DNS server on
an old G4 Mac mini.

> The cable guys seem to have run ahead of DSL, although FIOS is kicking
> them right back.  Both of them are 8-20Mbits down, 1-6?Mbits up.

DOCSIS 3.0 can do >100 MBit/s quite easily.

> If you can't or don't want to deal with either of those, I'd recommend
> Sprint CDMA 2000 Rev. A (and a newer version is about out I think).  I
> can hook you up for $49.xx/mo.  Normal price is $59.xx/mo.  However,
> they now have a 5GB cap.  (Was unlimited for a long time.)  Only get the

I burn about 1.1 TByte/month, so that's not in the cards.

> USB modems, and then get a little WiFi hub / router, and you are all
> set, anywhere you can get phone service.  Sprint seems to have the most
> broadly available Broadband.  Works in Canada too, although they went
> from an OK-if-prorated unlimited rate to a small cap JUST when I took my
> last trip there last year.  And then my USB modem died after a couple
> days in Canada...
>
> I can't live where I don't have broadband.  I have a hard time even

What this planet needs is Internet from the skies via a LEO sat constellation.