[FoRK] Satellite Internet Service

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Tue Mar 17 14:23:54 PDT 2009

Eugern wrote:
"How far is the nearest place which has decent broadband?"

About 4 miles.  In fact it's unlikely I'll ever get broadband.  The San
Ildefonso Indians have a wireless service, which doesn't reach me.
Since they own the Pojoaque riverbed the phone company cable would have
to cross, they've said that no more cables are crossing the river.
Right now the only cables crossing the river are Comcast.  Electricity
and regular phone service are on poles that only cross private land.
Qwest was surveying a buried cable, with broadband, about 3 years ago.
Then the Indians said no way.

Stephen Williams wrote:
"So, go OpenDNS.org and just forget them."

This I don't understand.  Does this mean I need to have a local DNS
server somewhere in my house?

"I'd recommend Sprint CDMA 2000 Rev. A"

Cell service here in the wilds of Santa Fe county is pretty iffy for all
but Verizon.  I started with Sprint, switched to AllTell, and finally
Verizon before I had reliable cell service.

Thanks to all for their helpful responses!
--
Peace,

Marty Halvorson
marty at halvorson.us