[FoRK] Satellite Internet Service

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Mar 18 02:42:19 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:22:05AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Yes, Exactly.  In fact, that is probably a fine project for the
> commercial space ventures + NASA + a portion of basic foreign aid /
> education / outreach.  I think we're in a lull created by oligopolies
> (cell, cable, ILECs, satellite TV), innovator dilemma local minima of
> those oligopolies, and a hangover from premature-technology debacles
> like Iridium.

We need a very dense cloud of very small nodes and earth-side antennas
that can track something fast and faint with no movable parts (I guess
this makes it a phased array). This needs ephemerides Earth-side, so you
could as well make the king kill GPS in one fell swoop. Signalling in
the sat cloud itself could well be optical.

> Perhaps someone should have pitched military-grade surveillance cameras

A few kUSD consumer camera would do dandy. You need a lot of cheap mass-produced
gear in a short-lived orbit (a few years).

> from LEOs along with some other easier to fund features and rolled in
> the Internet access.  Naming things well sometimes helps bring them to
> reality.  Outernet?  LEONet is too obvious and not catchy, beyond Leonet
> is an Outernet.  Spacenet?  SkyNet is already taken.  ;-)
>
> Which reminds me...  I was at an AGI meetup last Sunday.  One of the

The Ben Goerzel thing?