[FoRK] Satellite Internet Service

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Mar 18 08:21:38 PDT 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:22:05AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

>> from LEOs along with some other easier to fund features and rolled in
>> the Internet access.  Naming things well sometimes helps bring them to
>> reality.  Outernet?  LEONet is too obvious and not catchy, beyond Leonet
>> is an Outernet.  Spacenet?  SkyNet is already taken.  ;-)
>>
>> Which reminds me...  I was at an AGI meetup last Sunday.  One of the
>>

> The Ben Goerzel thing?

Not this time.  I caught a meeting with him earlier in the year.
He's making some good progress, however it seems he make some choices
that don't seem the most promising to me.  And he's purely using cheap
off-shore labor for programming, which seems odd to me for an AI project.

He does seem to be integrating versions of known-to-be-useful ideas,
usually with some tweaking and ambitious-sounding integration to his
other subsystems.  I just haven't seen any specific results.

sdw