[FoRK] Harvard University approves undergrad program in human regenerative biology

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Mar 19 14:55:54 PDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> Maybe our grandchildren will live to 200, using engineered tissues and
> organs. If they can keep the fundies at bay.

If majority opinions actually mattered, it would be a lost cause.  You
can remove the "fundies"   (define it however you like) from the
demographics entirely and you will still come up with roughly the same
majority perspective.  People with a rational view of this topic are
probably as small a minority in the US as the people wanting to
strictly ban abortion (about 20%).

There is a more fundamental reason people's stated preferences don't
matter.  Never underestimate the ability of people to rationalize
something they are morally opposed to in the name of vanity and self-
interest.  It is moral outrage theater, a social signal that is
convenient because it never stands in the way of them receiving the
benefits they desire from biotech research.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers