[FoRK] GSM Disruption

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 27 03:18:32 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:09:10AM -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Disruptive technologies are often more interesting for the nature of
> their disruption than their technology per se.

Cellular is pretty tired these days. What would be nice to
see is cut-through wireless Internet in ~GBit range.

> (Mind, some disruptive technologies don't disrupt very much.  VoIP
> didn't do to Sprint what PCs did to Burroughs, despite some good
> efforts.  Got me through Engineering school, though.)
>
> Hoping that networked video games don't get disrupted soon,

I'm hoping that things like OpenSim and Croquet move away
from server cluster approach towards distributed massively
parallel realtime physical simulations, moving closer and
closer to network periphery, down into residential broadband
(which is GBit in some locations).