[FoRK] GSM Disruption

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Mar 27 16:12:57 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:18:32AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Cellular is pretty tired these days. What would be nice to
> see is cut-through wireless Internet in ~GBit range.

Cellular is still pretty fresh out where they grow food and make cheap
consumer goods.

The upgrade from 0 bps to 9600 bps is rather more significant than the
upgrade from ~10^6 bps to 10^9 bps.  It also involves much less energy
and expense.

> > Hoping that networked video games don't get disrupted soon,
>
> I'm hoping that things like OpenSim and Croquet move away
> from server cluster approach towards distributed massively
> parallel realtime physical simulations, moving closer and
> closer to network periphery, down into residential broadband
> (which is GBit in some locations).

Oddly enough, my current employer started out trying to sell a
peer-to-peer stack for MMOs.  Had to be pared down to a networking &
matchmaking stack for video games before anyone bought it.

Sticking with the immersive 3D environment I was born with,
  Aaron