[FoRK] Weird... interesting.

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Tue Apr 14 13:55:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 6:34 AM, J. Andrew Rogers <
andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> I think the primary argument for flat tax models is that they go a long way
> toward eliminating many kinds of systemic perverse incentives, and there are
> a number of ways you can lash those models up to make them satisfactorily
> progressive (fixed exemptions, minimum guaranteed income, etc).  I think the
> biggest (political) negative is that it cannot easily be used by the fickle
> mob to punish people they don't like, which makes it a non-starter.

I would turn that around, in that a flat tax takes away the trade in
political favours (tax exemptions etc), making it a non-starter. Its not the
mob that makes tax laws.

In a lot of ways this is like the difference between cap-and-trade (which
does enable a rigorous exchange of political favours in the form of rights
allocations) versus a carbon-tax (which doesnt).