[FoRK] Weird... interesting.

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Apr 16 10:42:38 PDT 2009

I've avoided NYC like the plague after repeatedly getting a vague sense
of unease at the whole thing.  I had a nice gig there in 1995, traveling
more vertically than horizontally every day to work.  Oddly enough, I've
recently had leads contracting at financial companies there...

The VCs and money guys that I ran into there always seemed very shallow
and lemming-ish compared to those in Silicon Valley / Berkeley.  I did a
couple multi-VC pitch tours, for my company and others, 25 in 3 days
once.  The kind where you sit down with this hot woman in a business
suit who tells you she is managing a $1 Billion Saudi sheik fund...  And
she has no idea what you are talking about.  Or you talk to a Wall
Street day trader / semi-angel who listens for 15 seconds and then tries
to stuff you and what you are interested in into a specific mental
pigeonhole.

Or you work at a Wall Street firm that pays top dollar for talent and
then insists that everything be dumbed down to the most shallow level.

On the West Coast, all of the "VC"s were engineers with money.
Completely different experience.

So, my stereotype of NYC, based on personal experience, is beware the
"shallow shyster".  Every time I hear a Brooklyn accent I look around to
see if I'm in one of those you-know-you're-getting-riped-off electronics
stores downtown.

sdw