[FoRK] Palm, Apple, Adobe, Microsoft

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Apr 16 17:07:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Microsoft's tools are essentially free for startups now.  I'm wondering how
> desperate they are these days.

I got the sense when I visited Redmond last year that they were
terrified that any price above zero was a barrier to entry for new
startups. Don't worry, they'll get it out of you on the back end.

> All those iPhone apps, with yet more
> compelling commericals, must have someone groaning.

Tangentially, am I the only one who finds the new MS laptop ads
groaningly dumb? I know what we should do! Reinforce the idea that
Apples are a desirable luxury good that we should aspire to when we
can spend more than $600 on a laptop! Given that 12-14% of the
country, even now, is happy to spend *waaaaay* more money than that on
aspirational luxury cars, and given that Apple would slobber to have a
12-14% overall market share, that just seems idiotic...

Luis