[FoRK] Oracle buys Sun; Now owns Java; Becomes a hardware player

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Apr 20 14:23:31 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Well, not terribly surprising, since they have the money and have the same
> customers.  Geographically colocated practically, which makes business and
> culture interpolation easier.  Probably good, if they can make the right
> moves rather than "evil money-grubbing".  Unfortunately, the Oracle
> reputation is more the latter so far.
> MySQL and Java handling will be the interesting components.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=16598&tag=nl.e539
>
> I still think a purchase by Apple would have been more interesting all
> around.

Apple's success is because of their razor-like focus on real
consumers. Apple wouldn't compromise that for roughly all the money on
Earth. Sun wouldn't know a real consumer if it hit them in the face.
Huge cultural gap there.

> Is IBM kicking themselves now?  I bet they buy Yahoo or something for
> consolation.  RedHat?

They won't buy RH unless they absolutely have to. They have a pretty
explicit policy of using their money to seed competition in the linux
space to keep prices low and innovation high.

(IBM is also wisely afraid of consumers after the OS/2 debacle; so
like Apple<->Sun, IBM<->Yahoo would be interesting but probably
disastrous.)

It's really hard to imagine a more dull, status-quo reaffirming
outcome for the sun acquisition, which is a shame.

Luis