[FoRK] Oracle buys Sun; Now owns Java; Becomes a hardware player

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Mon Apr 20 14:25:26 PDT 2009

A little tidbit from one of the guys I'm working with now and more to come:

http://blog.ianetsec.net/perspective/2009/04/on-oracles-acquisition-of-sun-microsystems.html

He wrote a bit more previous to the post when IBM was a'courting.
Peter tells it like it is and used to cover software (and specifically
security software) for Morgan Stanley).

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Well, not terribly surprising, since they have the money and have the same
> customers.  Geographically colocated practically, which makes business and
> culture interpolation easier.  Probably good, if they can make the right
> moves rather than "evil money-grubbing".  Unfortunately, the Oracle
> reputation is more the latter so far.
> MySQL and Java handling will be the interesting components.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=16598&tag=nl.e539
>
> I still think a purchase by Apple would have been more interesting all
> around.
> Is IBM kicking themselves now?  I bet they buy Yahoo or something for
> consolation.  RedHat?
>
> sdw

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Family.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Life.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org