[FoRK] Oracle buys Sun; Now owns Java; Becomes a hardware player

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Mon Apr 20 14:40:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> Well, not terribly surprising, since they have the money and have the same
>> customers.  Geographically colocated practically, which makes business and
>> culture interpolation easier.  Probably good, if they can make the right
>> moves rather than "evil money-grubbing".  Unfortunately, the Oracle
>> reputation is more the latter so far.
>> MySQL and Java handling will be the interesting components.
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=16598&tag=nl.e539
>>
>> I still think a purchase by Apple would have been more interesting all
>> around.
>
> Apple's success is because of their razor-like focus on real
> consumers. Apple wouldn't compromise that for roughly all the money on
> Earth. Sun wouldn't know a real consumer if it hit them in the face.
> Huge cultural gap there.

Agreed. I don't know what Apple would do with Sun....at all.

>> Is IBM kicking themselves now?  I bet they buy Yahoo or something for
>> consolation.  RedHat?

I don't think so. I think it was easy for them to walk away. From the
way I see it, I think Oracle gets more out of the acquisition than IBM
does in some cases. From what I understand, I'm not sure if the Sun
acquisition was more for the IAM product line or Java but it certainly
wasn't for the hardware. Sun made the mistake of giving all the
software away for free (or a pittance) in hopes people would buy the
hardware and failed miserably.

If IBM bought Sun, our expert was advising any of our clients running
Sun IAM products to prepare for a potential EOL or "merge-into"
scenario as IBM 's Tivoli IAM line aint too shabby. Java was probably
the only thing worth acquiring for them and I didn't see IBM making
money off of it. There may be more to Sun that I am missing, but I
didn't pay much attention to them at all so I apologize in advance for
marginalizing anyone or anything - these are my observations based on
our information security / risk management client network that I
manage and that of our subject matter expert, Kuper.

--
B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Family.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Life.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org