[FoRK] Oracle buys Sun; Now owns Java; Becomes a hardware player

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Apr 20 14:55:02 PDT 2009

B.K. DeLong wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:

>>> I still think a purchase by Apple would have been more interesting all
>>> around.
>>>
>> Apple's success is because of their razor-like focus on real
>> consumers. Apple wouldn't compromise that for roughly all the money on
>> Earth. Sun wouldn't know a real consumer if it hit them in the face.
>> Huge cultural gap there.
>>

> Agreed. I don't know what Apple would do with Sun....at all.

I can see that point.  Still, it would have been entertaining.  And that
razor-like focus would likely have worked wonders as they merged OS-X
and Solaris, maybe with a tip of the hat to Linux.

Perhaps more interesting is to think about who loses here.  Microsoft?
They aren't into server hardware, however they suffer as others' server
/ database business becomes more solid.  The whole virtualization thing
is interesting as it makes MS OSen slightly less annoying to run for
servers, even while it makes it trivial to have a zillion lower-cost
Linuxen VMs running.
>>> Is IBM kicking themselves now?  I bet they buy Yahoo or something for
>>> consolation.  RedHat?
>>>

> I don't think so. I think it was easy for them to walk away. From the
> way I see it, I think Oracle gets more out of the acquisition than IBM
> does in some cases. From what I understand, I'm not sure if the Sun
> acquisition was more for the IAM product line or Java but it certainly
> wasn't for the hardware. Sun made the mistake of giving all the
> software away for free (or a pittance) in hopes people would buy the
> hardware and failed miserably.

Sure.  Oracle gets more.  IBM would likely have found a lot of duplication.
> If IBM bought Sun, our expert was advising any of our clients running
> Sun IAM products to prepare for a potential EOL or "merge-into"
> scenario as IBM 's Tivoli IAM line aint too shabby. Java was probably
> the only thing worth acquiring for them and I didn't see IBM making
> money off of it. There may be more to Sun that I am missing, but I
> didn't pay much attention to them at all so I apologize in advance for
> marginalizing anyone or anything - these are my observations based on
> our information security / risk management client network that I
> manage and that of our subject matter expert, Kuper.

They have some good hardware.  And a lot of loyal customers.  The
hardware business changes quickly sometimes though.  The new Cisco
Nehalem blade system is pretty impressive.  Perhaps Cisco would have
been an even better suitor.