[FoRK] Oracle buys Sun; Now owns Java; Becomes a hardware player

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Mon Apr 20 15:13:19 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> They have some good hardware.  And a lot of loyal customers.  The hardware
> business changes quickly sometimes though.  The new Cisco Nehalem blade
> system is pretty impressive.  Perhaps Cisco would have been an even better
> suitor.

I don't have the numbers to cite but from what I understand Sun was
really not doing well with regard to hardware sales at all. While the
hardware may have been good, it appears no one is/was really buying
anymore from what it sounded like and that's why they were so
desperate to sell or start layoffs/go bankrupt/selloff assets/[insert
final acts of desperation here].

I wish I understood more about the financial machinations going on and
I hate being so qualifying in my statements....but I got smacked
around when I started talking about security controls and AmazonFail
last week ;)

--
B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Family.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Life.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org