[FoRK] Oracle buys Sun; Now owns Java; Becomes a hardware player

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Apr 20 19:53:00 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
>> Apple's success is because of their razor-like focus on real
>> consumers. Apple wouldn't compromise that for roughly all the money on
>> Earth. Sun wouldn't know a real consumer if it hit them in the face.
>> Huge cultural gap there.
>
> Gota agree on this. Apple knows its bread is buttered by pumping out
> disposable/autoobsoleting  gizmos that their fan base will buy in a
> subscription like manner.

You forgot 'damn polished' gizmos. I continue to be amazed that no
other high tech firm even approaches the level of attention to detail.
It shouldn't be that hard to do... all you need is a leader who is OCD
about quality.

>Things like servers...not so much. Heck,
> what are their margins on OSx?

I assume similar to their margins on the new low-end ipods, which are
about $23 in parts, apparently, for a $100 device. All margin all the
time, baby.

> Maybe IBM can buy BEos out of the grave:)-

All the BeOS people went to Palm... not sure where they are now.

> -tom(and why did they give up the think pad market?)higgins.

Low margins.

Luis