[FoRK] Bullish on Facebook

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:01:44 PDT 2009

Corinna Schultz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Rob Harley <robert.harley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After adequate consideration... it's still good enough to be addictive
>> enough to fill the online-social void that once was occupied by mailing
>> lists, Usenet and so on.
>>

> My problem is that I like to keep different spheres of activity, some
> of them (relatively) anonymous.  If I use my real name on Facebook,
> then I have to be very careful what I say. But then all sorts of
> people find me there, and it becomes a mix of "I want to talk about
> anything" and "the internet never forgets". I suppose I could set up
> different Facebook accounts, but that doesn't feel right, for some
> reason.
>
> I think I don't "get" the social media thing. Or I'm too paranoid. Or
> I'm not social in that way. Or something...

Yea, what Corinna said...

American (U.S.) society is becoming so bifurcated along
religion/political lines and the rhetoric so passionate, heated, not to
mention completely irrational that it's easy to see how a relatively
innocuous comment on politics or religion could have an adverse impact
on,  say,  a job search.   It is also not hard to project current trends
into the future to a day (in the not so distant future I fear) where
expressing certain views on politics and religion could, literally, make
you a target for termination.  In some aspects, the U.S. is careening
into 3rd world banana republic territory.   Death squads can't be far
behind.  Very sad.

Bill