[FoRK] Bullish on Facebook

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Apr 24 11:02:55 PDT 2009

I agree, and yet I think there might be a lot of good in bringing a lot of
these views out into the open, and even into direct (verbal) combat.

There have always been a lot of crazy views among various people.  Keeping
those views private to family and like-minded groups often allows those
crazy views to fester and grow.

Hashing everything out in public where good points can be made over a long
period of time, the historical record of what was said and done is hard to
erase, and where people are won over in solid ways can be very healthy in
the long run.  Even if it is messy and annoying for long periods.

If your goal is to nurture and grow your brand of crazy, you hate all of
this.  Good luck reading up and discussing other points of view in a
Talibany area.  If your world view is that everyone should keep their
crazy to themselves so that we have the appearance of peace and civility,
then you may also hate this.  While there is some truth to the possibility
of success of the latter way of operating, it doesn't really solve the
problem if crazy is propagating under the surface.

The overreach by the Republicans for the last 10 years, the pandering to
religious groups, who were only too easily sheepled, the betrayal of many
things American by the pseudo-uber-patriotic administration, etc. have all
served as a great education to the great American middle.  The Republicans
and other hanger's on are spilling their normally squelched views and
worries publicly out of desperation, showing they are so far from the
reality of the rest that they are becoming rapidly more isolated.  Some of
their worries are legitimate, however what they are saying is so laced
with generally taken to be mistaken flavor that they are sinking fast.

We are better for having got all of this behind us.  Great mistakes and
exposures create a new age where those are no longer possible, probably
not ever again.  Just like hijacking a jumbo jet will never again turn out
well for the hijackers.

sdw