[FoRK] Bullish on Facebook

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:27:11 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM, J. Andrew Rogers
<andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>>
>> Well, political workers do the pandering, and they have colleagues or
>> staffers who are members of the educated, rational, pragmatic elite.
>

> Probably, but it is a pity that this is never in evidence if you evaluate
> policy proposals outside of the political milieu.

The ultimate answer is: that's just the nature of democracy, which is
only the least bad of the alternatives.

The political branch is helpless without the technocrats (see: how
badly the Bushies blew it whenever reality intruded).  But they have
to lead, and that's necessarily going into messed up places.

> I would agree the majority of them are rational and pragmatic when it comes
> to constructing policy that panders to the irrational beliefs of their
> constituents. After all, they have to get reelected. It does not do much
> good for the country though if all this latent rational pragmatism almost
> never results in rational, pragmatic government.

Well, yeah.  that's true.