[FoRK] Bullish on Facebook

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Apr 24 14:54:26 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM, J. Andrew Rogers
> <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>> Most atheists have beliefs that are every bit as religious in
>> construction
>> as those who believe the supposed musings of a Bronze age
>> philosopher are
>> the inerrant word of (a) God.
>
> I'm sure there are some atheists for whom that's true.  But as a whole
> atheism is too simple and straightforward to leave room for that kind
> of speculation.
>
> It's easy: there's no god.
>
> Where's the religion?

I was not talking about atheism per se.

The strong majority of all the atheists I have ever met very evidently
have beliefs currently stored where $DEITY is in people who are
theists.  Identical patterns of self-deception, absence of critical
thinking, and willful ignorance of contrary evidence, except that it
is often about UFOs, vaccines, who killed JFK, whether or not Tom
Cruise is gay, and myriad more important topics. People base much of
their certainty about the world on wishful thinking and personal
biases, not a rational evaluation of the evidence available to them.
Views on religion are just one belief in a very long list of such
beliefs for most people.

I've met a few people who do not seem to have any beliefs like this
but they are rare even among atheists. Perhaps it is a rare defect in
their monkey brain.

Being a theist is a symptom, not a disease. Believing the latter is a
popular self-deception among atheists.

J. Andrew Rogers