[FoRK] Darn it, who brought up religion again?? Re: Bullish on Facebook

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Apr 24 14:55:29 PDT 2009

Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM, J. Andrew Rogers
> <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Most atheists have beliefs that are every bit as religious in construction
>> as those who believe the supposed musings of a Bronze age philosopher are
>> the inerrant word of (a) God.
>>
> I'm sure there are some atheists for whom that's true.  But as a whole
> atheism is too simple and straightforward to leave room for that kind
> of speculation.
>
> It's easy: there's no god.
>
> Where's the religion
10% net pay bump.  Free time on Sundays (and Saturdays (and every day at
prayer time)).  No conflicted, confused fear / guilt / inferiority /
superiority / anti-science personality contamination.  No confusion
about basic things like love, sex, food, business...

Ah, sweet freedom.  Freedom from religion.  Freedom to make your self
really useful, instead of a fake, Religion Inc. serving "purpose".

"Religious in construction"?  I don't think so, not for many anyway.
But more importantly, it is not religious in practice.  The path to
reality enlightenment is less important than reaching it.