[FoRK] ...as opposed to Feedlot Kids?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:36:19 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Marty Halvorson <marty at halvorson.us> wrote:
> "It is very tough, often on the gray side of legal, to raise kids in
> ways that do not treat them like veal.
>  -- Tom Higgins (FoRK)"
>
> I started riding the streetcar when I was 8.  Had my first job (delivering
> newspapers) at 11, and it was in downtown.

Yep. Growing up in NYC in the late 60's and 70's I had great freedom
of movement. I went to and from school starting in 2nd grade, hung out
at the library and parks by myself, heck by 4th grade I was cutting
school to go see the Yanks and sit in the Hayden Planetarium all day.

My own kids have a range that is paltry in comparison. My 14 year old
has been getting the hang of public transport and is going to shows
with friends.

Now if I put my kid self into todays surrounding...fah...Id be so nose
deep into the intertubes I doubt the genetic sequence for melanin
would be anything but junk . status.

-tom