[FoRK] Darn it, who brought up religion again?? Re: Bullish on Facebook

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Apr 24 19:32:38 PDT 2009

Yes, I realized this at 12-13 or so.  And then I realized that that was
a poor reason to feign belief.  Not that I could make much of a big deal
of it then.  But I did avoid wasting time and resources from then on,
pretty much.  Not that my first wife, who's father had been a kind of
lay minister for a bit, didn't drag me to church for a while until she
realized it was futile.

My best friend's dad was a retired professor of philosophy, especially
philosophy of death, so they were more or less an atheist family.  I
just tried to politely ignore everyone else.  And I felt, and was, left
out for other reasons already.  Luckily, the opportunity to "belong"
felt tainted enough to me that I turned away from the "light".

Now a days, it's easy to find friends of all stripes, so that's not much
of an excuse.  At least for us no-strong-family-American-mutt kind of
people.

sdw